- Managing Partner
Sari Karson Kurland founded the Kurland Law Group in 1992. The focus of the Kurland Law Group is helping consumers and small businesses resolve debt through bankruptcy, complex litigation and negotiated workouts.
Ms. Kurland has significant experience in all phases of complex Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases, federal, state and bankruptcy court litigation, loan modifications, short sales, and debt settlement cases. Ms. Kurland is successful because she provides superior legal advise and exceptional representation to her clients.
The Kurland Law Group seeks an active and engaging relationship with our clients. We believe that a successful attorney client relationship is the key to produce favorable results and future referrals. Ms. Kurland and The Kurland Law Group work hard to ensure that our clients fully understand each and every step of their case and are grateful that we had the opportunity throughout the years to provide meaningful and positive change.
Ms. Kurland actively assists homeowners and real estate investors modify mortgages, short sale property and prosecute foreclosure defense cases in the federal courts.
Ms. Kurland is the proud mother of her three children, Benjamin, a lawyer at Wilson Sonsini, Washington DC, Evan – a basketball analytics journalist and coach and Kara a first year law student at the Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law.
Media Appearances and Presentations:
- MSNBC - Legal expert during the O.J. Simpson civil trial. Legal expert on the effect of bankruptcy on NFL retirement accounts.
- 1600 AM - Soluciones with Carolina- Radio Show for Spanish Speaking Community re:
mortgage modifications, foreclosure defense and consumer bankruptcy.
- FOX 5 News - October Legal Expert on mortgage loan modifications and the foreclosure crisis
October 11, 2010
- WHUR- 96.3 - October 21, 2010 - Interview on The Daily Drum about the foreclosure crisis.
- FOX 5 News - October 25, 2011 - Interview by Melanie Alnwick, Consumer News Reporter.
- THE TODD LABORWIT SHOW, REAL ESTATE RADIO - Guest Speaker, July 2015
Areas of Practice
- Consumer Bankruptcy
- Commercial and bankruptcy court litigation
- Loan Modification
- Foreclosure Defense
- Short Sales
- Debt Settlement
- Negotiated Workouts
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Claims
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1987
- University of Illinois
- B.S. - 1983
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Finance
- Inside the Minds - Trends in Consumer Bankruptcy Filings - Leading Lawyers on Understanding the Current Bankruptcy Landscape, Navigating the Filing Process and Educating Clients. 2010
- Focusing the Clients During the Consumer Bankruptcy Process
- The New Bankruptcy Law, Maryland Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Spring 2005
- The Perils of Refinancing out of Chapter 13 bankruptcy, Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association Annual Meeting, Spring 2007
- Maryland State Bar Association, Consumer Bankruptcy Section, Annual Meeting, June 2008 and June 2010
- Half Moon Seminars, continuing legal education course on consumer bankruptcy, Spring 2009
- Maryland House of Delegates, Testify in favor of proposed legislation to create homestead exemption in Maryland, Spring 2009 and Spring 2010
- February 2010 - Speaker, Baltimore Brown Bag Lunch Series - Maryland State Bar Association - Consumer Bankruptcy Section - Mortgage Loan Modifications
- Maryland House of Delegates, Testify in favor of proposed legislation to required Financial Literacy Course to graduate high school in MD, Spring 2012 and Spring 2013
- MELBOURNE LAW SCHOOL - March 3, 2014 - Melbourne Australia – Compare and Contrast Insolvency Law in the United States and Australia
- MARYLAND SENATE – March 19, 2014 - Testify in support of SB1007 requiring mandatory financial literacy education in order to graduate from a Maryland High School
- MARYLAND HOUSE OF DELEGATES – March 13, 2014 – Testify in support of HB1429 requiring mandatory financial education to graduate high school
- HEBREW UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Jerusalem, Israel - Luncheon lecture comparing and contrasting Insolvency Law in the United States and Israel
- JUDICIAL SELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBER – 2015 and 2016 for the Bankruptcy Bar Association to evaluate and recommend candidates for a vacancy on the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Maryland
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President - Maryland State Bar Association, Consumer Bankruptcy Section - elected May- 2012
- Projects: Revising Local Court Rules, Financial Literacy Legislation, Bankruptcy Outreach, Brown Bag Speaker Series